Bible Trivia September 2022 Edition
- What are the core beliefs of Catholicism?
- The Nicene Creed.
- Which council addressed the relationship between the catholic church and the modern world?
- The Second Vatican Council
- Before I met Jesus, I was a witness to Stephen’s stoning. Who am I?
- Paul – Acts 7:58
- Prophet Elijah chose me to come after him. Who am I?
- Elisha – 1 Kings 19:21
- Jesus called me Cephas. Who am I?
- Peter – John 1:42
- I was king and priest at the same time. Who am I?
- Melchizedek – Genesis 14:18
- I am a sacred book. On me, the Lord sent special messages to the Seven Churches of Asia. Who am I?
- Revelation – Revelation 2 & 3
- I am the beloved physician, Demas’ brother. Who am I?
- Luke – Colossians 4:14
- What are the core beliefs of Catholicism?
Bible Trivia Summer 2022 Edition
1. The cathedral in Prague (Czech Republic) was named after the city’s patron saint, who also favours dancers. What is his name?
a. Saint Vitus – The Prague cathedral was erected in honour of Saint Vitus
2. The buzz around this patron saint is clear; which saint is the patron of bees?
a. St. Ambrose – Born in Germany, Ambrose lived most of his life in Milan, Italy as an original doctor of the church. Living his life in the fourth century, he has been venerated as a saint multiple times. He happens to be a busy man– he was a patron saint not only of bees and beekeepers, but also candles, wax, and the city of Milan.
3. St. Thomas Aquinas, a major theologian, was known as the “Dumb Ox” and yet he was a very learned man and even a Doctor of the Church. He is the patron of whom?
a. Students – St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) was called the “Dumb Ox” because of his large size. His work, the “Summa Theologica” is considered to be one of the masterpieces of Catholic theology.
4. St. Blaise is the patron saint of diseases in what part of the body?
a. Throat – On the feast of St. Blaise the priest crosses two candles and puts them by your neck. Then he says “Through the intercession of St. Blaise, Bishop and Martyr, may God deliver you from every disease of the throat, and from every other illness.
5. Which Gospel writer is the patron saint of lawyers?
6. This Biblical saint, who was kept quite busy during his lifetime, is the patron of two of the world’s largest countries: China and Canada. He is patron of Canada along with St. Anne, to whom he is related by marriage.
a. St. Joseph – This wise, selfless, and most hardworking of saints is patron of the Universal Church, the dying, carpenters, workers in general, and of several countries and localities, notably China, Canada, and Belgium.
Bible Trivia June 2022 Edition
1. What did Paul mention that caused a dispute between the Pharisees & Sadducees?
a. The Resurrection (Acts 23.6)
2. What is the meaning of the name Melchizedek?
a. King of righteousness (Hebrews 7:2)
3. Who placed his hands on Saul so that his sight was restored?
a. Ananias (Acts 9:17)
4. Which apostle said he worked harder than the others?
a. Paul (1 Corinthians 15:10)
5. Which disciples were named `Boanerges`?
a. James and John (Mark 3:17)
6. What city did John see coming down from heaven in his vision of Revelation?
a. Jerusalem (Revelation 21:2)
7. Why did Paul rebuke Peter in Antioch?
a. Hypocrisy (Galatians 2:14)
8. About how many people became believers on the day of Pentecost?
a. 3000 (Acts 2:41)
Bible Trivia May 2022 Edition
- Where were the apostles first called Christians?
- Antioch (Acts 11.24-26)
- Who replaced Judas to complete the 12 apostles?
- Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles. (Acts 1.26)
- Who said, `I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?`
- John (Matthew 3:14)
- Whom did Paul study under?
- Gamaliel (Acts 22:3)
- Who wrote 1 and 2 Timothy?
- Paul, (Timothy1:1)
- Jesus said, “Ye must be born again” to?
- Nicodemus (John 3:7-8)
- How many brothers did Jesus have?
- Jesus had 4 brothers as referenced in(Matthew 13:55) however there is literature that tells us “brother is used in a broad semantic range, and this reference is meant in that way. https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/jesus-had-brother
- What is the “Promise” of Pentecost?
- The Holy Spirit (Acts 2:33)
Bible Trivia April 2022 Edition
- What is the name of the village where Christ turned water into wine?
- Answer: Cana of Galilee
- Who took Judas Iscariot’s place as an apostle?
- Answer: Matthia
- Which group was the ruling council of the Jews who plotted to kill Jesus?
- Answer: The Sanhedrin
- Who cut off the ear of the high priest?
- Answer: Peter
- Where was the book of 2 Timothy written?
- Answer: Rome
- What did Jesus and the disciples do after the last supper and before going to the Mount of Olives?
- Answer Sung a hymn Mark 14:26
- What is the Octave of Easter?
- Answer: Easter Sunday and the seven days that follow, leading to the celebration of Divine Mercy Sunday (Second Sunday of Easter).
- What was Jesus’ last gesture to the apostles before the Ascension?
- Answer: “He lifted up his hands” and “blessed them” (Luke 20:50) and as they looked on, “He was lifted up… and a cloud received Him out of their sight”. (Acts 1:9)
Bible Trivia March Lenten 2022 Edition
1. As Jesus rode into Jerusalem (on Palm Sunday), what did He say would cry out if His disciples didn’t?
A. the stones B. the angels C. the earth D. the animals
A. Luke 19:37-40
2. What was the man carrying whom Peter and John followed to prepare the upper room for Passover?
A. a bushel of wheat B. a young lamb C. a pitcher of water D. a loaf of bread
C. Luke 22:10.
3. What did Jesus give to Judas as a sign that he was to betray Him?
A. Glass of wine B. Bread C. Jar of honey D. Bag of coins
B. John 13:26
4. Who was the chief priest who had Jesus arrested?
A. Caiaphas B. Ananias C. Pilate D. Zechariah
A. John 18:12-14
5. Which of these people did NOT question Jesus after He was arrested?
A. Caiaphas B. Pontius Pilate C. Herod D. Caesar
6. Who owned the tomb where Jesus was buried?
A. Joseph of Arimathea B. Simon the Cyrenian C. Nicodemus D. Mary Magdalene
A. Luke 23:50-53
7. On what day of the week was Jesus first seen after His resurrection?
A. Friday B. Saturday C. Sunday D. Monday
C. Mark 16:9
8. To whom did Jesus first appear after His resurrection?
A. Mary Magdalene B. His mother Mary C. Peter D. Matthew
A. Mark 16:9
Bible Trivia FEBRUARY Lenten 2022 Edition
1. What is the liturgical color of Lent?
2. What are the three pillars of Lent?
A. Prayer, Fasting and Almsgiving
3. What are the ashes for Ash Wednesday made from?
A. From palms used during previous years’ Palm Sunday
4. What biblical event does the time of Lent represent?
A. Jesus retreated to the wilderness; he fasted for forty days, and was tempted by the devil
5. Which three disciples went with Jesus to the Mountain of Transfiguration?
A. Peter, James & John
6. Which devotion has special place during Lent?
A. Stations of the Cross
7. Which feast day is celebrated during Lent?
A. Feast of St. Joseph
8. What did Luke say the two Old Testament Saints were discussing with Jesus?
A. His departure in Jerusalem (Luke 9:31 they were speaking of his departure,(that is his death), which he was about to accomplish at Jerusalem)
9. Which word used during Lent means “to give to those in need”?
10. What is the original meaning of the word Lent (Old English “lencten”)?
Bible Trivia JANUARY 2022 Edition
1. What kind of bird brought Elijah food while he hid in the Kerith Ravine, east of Jordan?
2. Per the Gospels, what is the unique literary genre Jesus employs to preach his message?
A. The parable
3. Which Gospel is most concerned with the mystery and identity of the person of Jesus?
A. The Gospel according to John
4. Why did God put a mark on Cain?
A. The mark was a sign of God’s mercy.
5. Who recognized Jesus as the Messiah when he was presented at the Temple as a baby?
6. Paul was shipwrecked on what island?
7. What did the Ark of the Covenant contain?
A. The tablets of Moses, a pot of manna, and the rod of Aaron
8. What language was most of the New Testament originally written in?
A. Koine Greek
9. How did Jesus reveal the one who would betray him?
A. “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me.” Matthew 26:23
10. What is the last word in the Old Testament?
‘curse’ (Mal. 4:6)
Bible Trivia December Christmas 2021 Edition
1. Who was the prophet that foretold a virgin shall give birth to a son called Immanuel?
answer: Prophet Isaiah.
2. What are the five names of Jesus found in the Bible?
answer: Jesus, Immanuel, Christ, the Mighty God, the Prince of Peace
3. Where in the Bible do we read about the Birth of Jesus?
answer: Luke 2.
4. Who was it that told Herod about an Old Testament prophecy that Israel’s Messiah-King would be born in Bethlehem?
answer: It was the Jewish chief priests and scribes, who quoted the Old Testament words of Micah 5:2, that revealed the birthplace of the coming Messiah (Matt. 2:4-6).
5. As well as being a gift from the wise men, at what other time was “myrrh” associated with Christ?
answer: During His crucifixion, Jesus was offered a drink of wine mixed with myrrh (Mk. 15:23) It was used in this case as a sedative to somewhat dull the pain suffered on the cross. But the Lord refused to drink it. Myrrh was also one of the spices used in the wrapping of Christ’s body at the time of His burial (Jn. 19:38-40)
6. What carol contains the line, “Word of the Father, now in flesh appearing”?
answer: The carol that refers to this is “O Come, All Ye Faithful.”
7. What carol quotes the angels saying to the shepherds, “All glory be to God on high, / And to the earth be peace”?
answer: A carol that describes the incident using the Bible’s wording almost exactly is “While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night.”
8. What carol fancifully describes “angels bending near the earth / To touch their harps of gold”?
answer: “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.”
9. What carol says of Jesus’ birth, “While mortals sleep, the angels keep / Their watch of wondering love”?
answer: The carol is “O Little Town of Bethlehem.”
10. What carol says of Christ’s coming to earth, “Mild He lays His glory by, / Born that man no more may die”?
answer: “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing.”
Bible Trivia November Advent 2021 Edition
1. What do evergreen branches of Advent Wreath symbolize?
a. Answer: Eternal life
2. What does the rose (pink) candle lit on third Sunday of Advent symbolize?
a. Answer: Joy
3. Why is the Gloria not said during Advent?
a. Answer: Advent (and Lent ) ( color purple) are seasons of penance and reflection so the joyous prayer of the Gloria is omitted
4. The account of Jesus’ birth is recorded in which of the Gospels?
a. Answer: Matthew and Luke
5. Which ruling Roman Caesar ordered the census that required Joseph to take Mary from
Nazareth to Bethlehem so as to register for it?
6. In A Charlie Brown Christmas, which Peanuts cartoon character recites the account of the Nativity, and from which Gospel does that character quote?
a. Answer: Linus, quoting Book Of Luke 2:8-20 Watch it here: https://youtu.be/eff0cqYefYY
Bible Trivia October 2021 Edition
- Where do we first “experience” the Holy Trinity?
Answer: At Jesus’ Baptism. Matthew 3:16-17
16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, He went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased.”
- Where did Jesus perform his first Miracle? Answer: John 2:11 Jesus did this, the first of His Signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed His Glory; and His disciples believed in Him.
- What were Jesus’ last words to his mother and disciples on Mount Olivet before His Ascension?
Answer: Matthew 28:19-20 19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
- Where is the reference to the coronation of Mary? Revelation 12:1 A great sign appeared in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.
- Who Is the Author of The Book Of Revelation and where is it positioned in the Bible?
Answer: John is the Author of the Book of Revelation which is the LAST book in the Bible.
Bible Trivia September 2021 Edition
- Question: Which Gospel speaks primarily of the mystery and identity of the person of Jesus?
Answer: The Gospel According to John
- Question: According to the Gospels, which literary genre does Jesus implement to help
preach his message?
Answer: The parable
- Question: Which Gospel is written by a doctor?
- Question: What did God divide when He created Earth?
Answer: The light from the darkness
- Question: How many plagues are in Exodus?
- Question: Why did God send the ten plagues?
Answer: Pharaoh refused to set the Israelites free
- Question: Who wore clothing made of camel hair?
Answer: John the Baptist
- Question: Which place is called “Zion” and “the city of David”?
Bible Trivia Summer 2021 Edition
- When John the Baptist says, ‘I am the voice of one calling in the desert, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord,’ ‘ what prophet is he quoting?
Isaiah – Explanation: John was trying to convince the Pharisees he wasn’t the Christ but was a servant preparing for His arrival. Reference: John 1:23
- In the Book of John, when Jesus told the Jews to destroy the temple, how long did He say it would take to raise it again?
Three days – Explanation: The Jews didn’t understand Jesus was talking about himself as a temple. After his physical body was destroyed, he would resurrect in three days. Reference: John 2:19
- What member of the Jewish ruling council questions Jesus about the meaning of being born again?
Nicodemus – Explanation: Jesus explained to Nicodemus that ‘no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again,’ meaning reborn in spirit through acceptance of Jesus Christ as Savior. Reference: John 3:1
- In the Book of John, where did Jesus meet the Samaritan woman?
Jacob’s Well – Explanation: Jesus told the Samaritan woman that he could quench her spiritual thirst if she believed he was the true Messiah. Reference: John 4:6
- Why were the Jews angry when Jesus cured the invalid in the Book of John?
It was the Sabbath – Explanation: When Jesus told the invalid to pick up his mat and walk to the pool, the Jews told him he was not allowed, because it was the Sabbath. Reference: John 5:10
Bible Trivia June-2021
1. Who was Abraham’s first son, (mother was Hagar)?
2. Which of the following animals were the Israelites forbidden to eat by the Old Testament?
Answer: Rabbit (DEUTERONOMY 14:3-8)
3. When were Israelites required to free their servants?
Answer: The Israelites were required to free their servants in the seventh year of service.
4. Who climbed a sycamore tree to see Jesus as he entered Jericho?
5. Who was chosen to replace Judas as the twelfth apostle?
6. How many times did Noah send out a dove from the ark?
Answer: 3 times (GENESIS 8:8-12: 8)
7. Finish this verse. “In every battle you will need faith as your ______ to stop the fiery arrows aimed at you by Satan.”
Answer: Shield (Ephesians 6:16-18)
8. When did the events of the New Testament take place?
Answer: First Century AD
9. Jesus healed the mother-in-law of which apostle?
10. What name did Jesus give to James & John?
Answer: He gave the name Boanerges, which means sons of thunder. MARK 3:16-17
Bible Trivia May-2021
1. What was the name of Adam’s third son?
2. How many books are there in the Old Testament?
3. What relation was Jacob to Abraham?
4. What did Joseph’s brothers do to Joseph?
answer: Threw him in a pit and then sold him to strangers
5. Who was Moses’ successor after his death?
6. How many books are in the New Testament?
7. Who were the first apostles called to follow Jesus?
answer: John and Andrew
8. Who is the author of the Book of Revelation?
9. To what city was Saul traveling when he encountered a great and blinding light?
10. In the Gospel of Mark, how does the Virgin Mary learn of her pregnancy?
answer: From the angel Gabriel
Bible Trivia April-2021
1. Question: What was God’s sign to Noah that he would never destroy the earth again?
Answer: A rainbow
2. When Daniel prayed to God after it was not allowed, where was he thrown into?
Answer: The lion’s den
3. Question: What is the shortest verse in the Bible?
Answer: John 11:35 Jesus wept.
4. Which book did David write most of?
5. Who was Jesus’ most famous cousin?
Answer: John the Baptist.
6. Who is Stephen in Acts of the Apostles?
Answer: The first Christian martyr.
7. Which Gospel is most concerned with the mystery and identity of the person of Jesus?
8. Which Gospel is most concerned with the mystery and identity of the person of Jesus?
9. What language was most of the New Testament originally written in?
10. What was Jesus’ first miracle?
Answer: Turning water into wine
Catholic Action Bible Trivia Special Easter Edition March 2021
- Why is the Sunday before the resurrection called Palm Sunday?
When Jesus entered into Jerusalem at the beginning of the Passion Week, the people welcomed Him as king and Messiah. They covered the road with their garments and palm fronds as a symbol of their worship and acceptance of Him as king (Matthew 21:8; Mark 11:8; Luke 19:35, 36; John 12:12, 13).
- Which disciple cut off the ear of the high priest’s servant to try and protect Jesus from being taken as a prisoner?
Peter (John 18:10) “Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear.” The servant’s name was Malchus.
- We know that Judas was given 30 pieces of silver to betray Jesus, but when he reconsidered his deed and returned the money what did the priests do with it?
They bought the potter’s field with the money which is where strangers were buried (Matthew 27:6-8). The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.” So they decided to use the money to buy the potter’s field as a burial place for foreigners.” That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day.
- What did Pilate’s wife counsel him to do concerning Jesus?
To leave Jesus alone because He was a just man. She had a bad dream concerning the Lord and she probably felt it would bring bad luck on the household of Pilate (Matthew 27:19). While Pilate was sitting on the judge’s seat, his wife sent him this message: “Don’t have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him.”
- What was the inscription above the cross? “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews” (Luke 19:19)
- Which languages was it written in?
It was written in three different languages according to John 19:20; Hebrew, Greek and Latin. “Many of the Jews read this sign, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and the sign was written in Aramaic, Latin and Greek.”
- What happened in the Temple as a sign that the death of Jesus had made way for the individual believer to approach God?
The veil in the temple was torn from top to bottom (Matthew 27:51). “At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split.”
- When Jesus died there was darkness in the land. How long did it last?
Three hours, noon to 3 pm. (Matthew 27:45). “From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land.”
Catholic Action Bible Trivia February 2021
- What is the common name given to the first four books of the New Testament
- The Gospels
- Who wrote most of the books in the New Testament?
- Who wrote the Acts of the Apostles?
- Which book comes last in the New Testament?
- What does the word gospel mean?
- Good news
- Who was the king of Judea at the time of Jesus’ birth?
- Herod the Great
- Which gospel records the fewest of the miracles performed by Jesus?
- In what water was Jesus baptized?
- River Jordan
- What miracle did Jesus perform at the marriage in Cana?
- Turning water into wine
- Who was the tax collector that climbed up a tree so he could see Jesus?
Catholic Action Bible Trivia January 2021
- Trivia Question: How many books are in the New Testament?
- Trivia Question:Paul was shipwrecked on what island?
- Trivia Question:Who recognized Jesus as the Messiah when he was presented to the Temple as a baby?
- Trivia Question:After Jesus fed the 5,000, how many baskets were left over?
- Trivia Question:What did Saul encounter when he was traveling to Damascus?
Answer: A great and blinding light
- Trivia Question:What tribe is Paul from?
- Trivia Question:Which Gospel mostly speaks on the mystery and identity of the person of Jesus?
Answer: The Gospel According to John
- Trivia Question:According to the Gospels, which literary genre does Jesus implement to help preach his message?
Answer: The parable
- Trivia Question:Which Gospel is written by a doctor?
- Trivia Question:How many people boarded Noah’s Ark?